Monday, October 28, 2013

The New Center

The center of American politics is not a waffling group that doesn't know what they want. They identify with one side or the other based on their beliefs but also hold values of both sides. Using the esquire quiz I was placed as a minivan moderate, left leaning. I would agree with the above statement because I know where I stand on my beliefs and I do not waffle on that. Over half of the center consider themselves to be moderate but they are fairly evenly split into three parts republican, democrat and independent.  The middle consists of slightly more democrats than republicans.  The middle is generally more democratic in the fact that they think all people should be able to live above the poverty line on minimum wage and that we should help people who really need it, but not everyone. The majority of the middle thinks that the constitution can not provide guidance for today's issues. I agree with this and answered similarly but slightly more conservatively in saying that the constitution provides guidence on some issues but needs updating. The center is also generally not religious and believe that religion should not be tied to government. I think this is one of the reasons I am more left leaning, because my values are not at all tied to faith. Like me most of the middle think gay marriage should be legal and that marriage is between two people who love each other. The middle also wants a change in foreign policy. It is really interesting to see how you fit in with the rest of the U.S. I was not too surprised at my result but I expected to be a little more moderate.

No comments:

Post a Comment